Saturday, November 15, 2008

My day started with yarn. First, I went to the post office to pick up a package. It contained 6 skeins of 100 pure wool worsted merino in 2 colorways Ravena and Rosella. They are very similar to the pictures on the website. Maybe the Ravena is a little brighter than I was expecting but I am still satisfied. It is going to make a beautiful clapotis. Like the Malabrigo worsted it is single ply and oh so soft. DH asked me how getting more yarn helps me towards my goal of not adding to the stash. But this yarn had already been factored into the goal when I made it. And, except for the Habu Textiles yarn I ordered last week, I've stuck to it.

We then went to the library where I returned books then picked up a few more on eco friendly living and quilts. As an aside, I didn't know this, quilters have stash, too.

Later in the day, DH and Little Bear (DS) were sitting on the couch playing video games. I had just put Punkywunks down for a nap and went downstairs to be with them and get some knitting done. DH suggested we go for a drive around 3:30 hoping DS would fall asleep in the car. Since he had no place particular in mind, I suggested a yarn shop (of course). DS made it clear he had no interest in going to a yarn shop and, "I should just go by [myself]." I would not be put off so easily. Eventually DH decided he was going to take a nap, too. I then resorted to bribing DS with apple juice and peppermint patties as well as a promise to stop by Starbucks and get him vanilla milk. That did the trick. We were at the yarn shop 15 minutes later.

We went to Capital Yarns which has the friendliest staff. What I like most about this shop is the knowledgeable sales staff. When I told the sales associate who was helping me the problems I was having working with alpaca she showed me some Berroco and Alpaca with a Twist that would work much better. My next alpaca project will definitely be the Berroco. They wound up 4 skeins of yarn that I did not purchase from them for a small fee. The sitting area is child friendly. It was enough to keep DS occupied while the yarn was wound. I spoke to the owner about carrying Malabrigo and she said she is considering it. In the end, I bought only some darning needles and a row counter to round out my knitting accessories; again, they cost slightly more than on-line or a big box store but is worth it because I want them to stay around as long as possible.

No comments: