Monday, September 8, 2008

Am I a Product or Process Knitter?

I'm listening to the audiobook Stephanie Pearl-McPhee Casts Off: The Yarn Harlot's Guide to the Land of Knitting which is a book that only another knitter can truly understand. Her book explains knitters and the knitting world. Within the first 30 minutes of the book, she breaks down a process versus a product knitter. In a nutshell, process knitters enjoy the act of knitting and product enjoys accomplishing the finished object. I am a product knitter. This explains why, so far, I have not gotten into knitting socks. I look at sock patterns and think they are nice, interesting, and take skill to knit but because I don't think I would wear the socks once knit I don't want to make them.

Today, I visited Capital Yarns in Chantilly, VA. I liked it as soon as I walked in the door. I was warmly greeted by a lady who I believe is the owner. When I told her I was just browsing with nothing in mind, she showed me around a little bit and let me to my own devices. There is a comfortable area in the back with two couches a small coffee table and a chair for sitting comfortably while one looks through the books she has for sale. I think I thumbed through every book she had and didn't feel rushed. She did come back at one point to check on me. I told her I was interested in knitting lace and she gave me lots of ideas and suggested books to me. She offered me bottled water to drink while I looked around the shop some more. I would say good yarn selection, but, if she doesn't have something in stock, if she is able to she will order it.

I have decided to get over my fear of lace. It's just yarn and needles, if I mess it up no one will take me out back and shoot me. I've set up my cart on knitpicks and should be placing my order for some laceweight yarn and circular needles. I'm going to tryout the interchangeable needles by ordering a pair of Options in size 6 and a 32-inch cable. I know I melt metal but I'm going to give it a try.

I found a great resource for knitting demonstrations, check out theknitwitch on youtube.

No comments: